Monday 3 July 2023

The Moment of Truth

Today, the penultimate day of the North Cascades Rally, got off to a soft start with a visit to the coffee pot and 'Cuppa Joe' before heading back to my campsite. After a quick shower (one dollar for two minutes x2) I got out the detailing spray and the metal polish and did some last minute touch ups before riding the Commando to the Red Barn and the Concours area. I arrived after many of the motorcycles had been parked, so I simply pulled in to the end of the row. The placement did provide a good view of the Orange Commando though.

My orange 1972 Combat-engined Norton Commando Roadster


The Roadster category had the largest number of motorcycles, all of which were fine examples of the marque. It was a real pleasure to have a close look at each one. There were some very clean bikes with Spectacular paint jobs. And what's more, as far as I could tell, all have been ridden regularly. There were no 'trailer queens' here. Again, the bikes are around fifty years old, and are ridden, but they are also lovingly cared for by people who respect what these machines are. When you care for something it shows and the motorcycles on display all showed a great deal of care.


Norton Commando Roadsters on display, but missing five of the entries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzsZh46lwec
To watch this video copy the link and paste it into the search bar at the top of the page.


A fine lineup of Norton Commando Interstate motorcycles.

A brace of Norton Commando fastback models

The sign says it all.

Pre-1967 Nortons, many of them the Atlas model.

Norton Commando race bike

HRD 

Older non-Norton entries with a Vincent Rapide in the foreground.

1959 Panther in immaculate condition.

Vincent, but I don't know the model.

The day which began passably soon deteriorated with storm clous appearing in the distance. The wind picked up and a light rain began to fall. One of the organizers made the call to end the Concours and have everyone take their motorcycles back to the campground. The weather improved shortly afterwards and with help, I loaded my Commando into my truck in preparation for Sunday morning's departure. 

The Awards Banquet and Dinner was scheduled for 6:00 and I hiked to the Red Barn Pavilion with some of the riders from the Victoria, BC, area. The meal was outstanding with roasted chicken and prime rib with Caesar salad and other items. 

When the dinner was over he awards were presented. First up was the award for Norton Commando R Roadster. A name was called, then mine was as well. I wasn't quite certain what was happening with two names being called but I made it to the front of the hall with the other person. Apparently, there was a tie for the 'Best in Class' Award and ours were the two that received the largest number of votes in a tie. I don't think that has happened at one of these rallies previously, but the organizers thought quickly on their feet and decided to award a plaque to both winners. The other gentleman than was from the Northwest Norton Owners' Club so I was presented with the plaque. Since there were no entries in the American Motorcycle category, the organizers made the decision to repurpose that award and have the correct smaller plaque mounted on it. A win-win. Needless to say, I was a very happy guy. When I returned to my table I remarked to the people there, "My life is complete now." At least for the moment anyway.

A very happy rider with the trophy for Norton Commando Roadster, 'Best in Class'.

The rest of the evening was spent visiting with Ken and his friends and consuming a celebratory beer or two, with the proviso that moderation would allow me to get a painless start on Sunday morning. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment