Monday 3 July 2023

Poker Run and BBQ

This morning dawned sunny and somewhat cool but the temperature increased and by mid morning it was very comfortable. The big event for the day was a poker run of about 56 miles on roads around Winthrop and Twisp, WA. Before the run I took the time to snap some photos of motorcycles and camp setups. Some people have basic setups with a simple tent and  therma-rest pad sleeping bag, others have more sophisticated arrangements with tent trailers, campers and the like, while still others have full-fledged motorhomes, many resembling Greyhound buses and probably costing $200K and more. I fall into the first group, although I do have a cot that allows me to get a decent night's sleep. 

Vincent (don't know the model) motorcycle

Butch Ambrosius' customized Norton and tent.

The poker run began at 10:30 with 50+ motorcycles taking part. My first card was a 6 so it was a slow start. At the second stop I drew another 6, so I was feeling optimistic. My hopes however, were dashed when my third card was a 7 followed by a 4 then a 5. My hand was a pair of 6s with 5 high. Good enough to win...nothing. But that is my story on every poker run I have ever done so I wasn't too concerned. Later on the prizes were announced with the winner having a hand of three kings. I wasn't even close.


Smart people, covering their seats with white towels to keep the seats cooler.

Beautiful Interstate Commando


'Cuppa Joe' Smith and a friend enjoying the shade.

A typical rally scene.


After checking in with my poker hand and parking my Commando, I took the time walk around the campground meeting people. "Cuppa Joe' Smith was relaxing with a friend so I took some time to visit. Joe and Dee live in Port Angeles, WA, so I extended and invitation for them to visit should they ever be in our part of Vancouver Island.


Now that is a great motorcycle cover!

After the Commando had cooled down I again spent time detailing and polishing the old girl until she sparkled and shone. It was almost ready for the Concours tomorrow. Ken borrowed some of my metal polish for his Norton Atlas. That bike sure did look good, especially after his ride from Victoria with his buddies in some cold and rainy weather.

Hamburgers and hotdogs on the barbecue. The smoke smelled wonderful.

Hank Cramer and Michelle Cameron providing entertainment

Friday evening had a hosted barbecue and entertainment provided by two local entertainers. Hank Cramer was born and raised in Winthrop and is well-known in this area. He and his partner did a variety of songs including sea shanties, folk songs and other types of music. Michelle's accompaniment on the cello and her vocal harmonies made some pleasant listening. 

The burgers and hotdogs seemed to be very tasty after a hot day. Especially with beer.

Saturday's big events were the Concours and the awards dinner so I was hoping that my orange 1972 Commando with the Combat engine would do well. The last day of the rally promised to be somewhat suspenseful for me because I had hopes that my bike would lace well in the Concours. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment