Saturday 1 July 2023

Rolling to the Mighty Columbia

On the first full day of a Norton rally there is a wonderful tradition that is named 'The Minute of Thunder where, prior to the group ride, everyone who wishes to fires up their motorcycles, and revs them up to turn a lot of gasoline into noise. This tradition is done to honour those who have been part of the Norton world who are no longer with us. And since the last rally, we have seen the passing of several men who were and important part of the Norton legacy with their knowledge, skill, and willingness to share their expertise with others. It is a wonderful tradition and one in which most attendees take part.

Line up before the 'Minute of Thunder' and the group ride.


Ready for departure.

The group ride this year wound through the back roads for almost 60 miles. The route was well laid our with marshals to keep the groups going in the right direction, since the vast majority of riders were unfamiliar with these roads. part of the route took the groups over a low pass where it was cloudy and threatened to rain on us, but as we descended toward the Columbia River the skies cleared and the temperatures increased to a very pleasant roughly 80F. The land near the river is a famous fruit growing area and as we approached the river we rode through a large area of cherry orchards. I'm not certain if the cherries had already been harvested, or if that was still to come.

Columbia River at Pateros, WA.

When everyone arrived in Pateros the main street was lined with mostly Norton Commandos. I later heard that 114 bikes made the trek to Pateros. The group stopped at a bakery/coffee shop where the organizers had arranged for everyone to get a sandwich and a drink. The layover lasted for about an hour then people began to depart in either small groups or individually.

Bike parking on the street in Pateros, WA. My Norton is the orange one.



Vincent motorcycle at the rally. Rapide?

Leaving Pateros, I headed back to Winthrop and a road that paralleled a small, clear, river. There is something special about riding my motorcycle along a river. It just feels really right somehow. The secondary roads in this part of Washington State seem to be well maintained and traffic moved along at about 60 mph (about 100 kph for you Canadians). I maintained a steady pace, my Commando was running well, and I was having a wonderful ride. I was passed by several Norton riders who were pushing their steeds a little harder than I was mine. The ride was almost exactly 100 miles (160+km) and as far as I could see, only one bike needed to be trucked back to the campsite. In general it was a very well organized and almost perfect ride in good weather and on easy riding roads.



As with any older British bike mine had seeped some oil, so after a brief break to let my Commando cool down, I set to wiping off the oil and road dirt to bring it back into its best appearance. I then spent time polishing the chrome and the aluminum cases to a high lustre. Some may think it tedious, but it is a task that, for the most part I enjoy. I find it quite easy to become absorbed in the task and feel that I enter an almost zen-like state. Relaxing and fulfilling, strange as that may seem to many.

I met two people whom I had met at previous rallies today as well. I met Ken Davies who splits his time between Black Creek, south of Campbell River, and Rich from Olympia who camped with Clint and me at the Elma rally. It is always good to re-establish those acquaintances with the hope that they will be renewed at the next rally.

The weather improved and Thursday looked much better than Wednesday did. It was turning out to be a really good rally with more good events to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment