Monday 24 July 2023

On the Road Again...

After a terrific stay in Perth, ON, I am on my way back to Campbell River. I spent my time visiting relatives and friends, reminiscing, and catching up on the lives of people I haven't seen for a long time, some more than half a century. A highlight of my stay was a reunion of six of our original 1963 grade 9 class from Perth & District Collegiate Institute. Not only were we able to get together, we were also graced with the presence of our wonderful Math teacher, Josie (Rubino) Roberts. I was even able to visit her at her house on Otty Lake, near Perth. It was a privilege to spend time with this wonderful woman.

Sixty year reunion.


Josie (Rubino) Roberts, my high school Math teacher

The view from Mrs. Roberts' kitchen window.

As an aside, in our 1968 graduating class (Ontario high school went to Grade 13 then) nineteen people went to teacher's college, and eleven went to Queen's University in Kingston.

I was also able to spend a day riding to Peterborough, having a visit with stopping at the Lift Locks, the Trent University Otonabee Campus, and having a visit with Lorna and Peter Adams. a 400+ kilometre day, but well worth the ride. I also made a brief stop at the old Marmora, ON, iron mine to pick up some ore samples for my grandson.

Lift lock going through one cycle.

Reginald R. Faryon bridge, Trent University, opened November 1968.

Great hall at Champlain College. Trent University

Great Hall at Champlain college with the Otonabee River

Thomas J. Bata Library, Trent University, opened 55 years ago.

Lady Eaton College, Trent University

Part of the Class of 1968 graduation photo at Lady Eaton College. Can you find me?

My friends of 50+ years, Peter & Lorna Adams

Almost full pit of the Marmora iron mine.

Yesterday I was able to meet my nephew Josh along with his wife and three children. It great to see him and to see what a tight family they are. They are fortunate to have that.

Josh's family with grand dad.

Josh's family with me.

This morning I departed just before 7:30 after saying goodbye to my brother, Dave. I took photos of him with hsi Corvette and his new Ford Maverick truck. The morning was sunny and the forecast was for late afternoon showers. I was well into my trip when I realized that I had forgotten my rain gear, but decided against losing almost an hour of travel time to retrieve the jacket and pants. More on that later.

Dave with his new Ford Maverick truck.

And with his Corvette

On the way to Highway 417 I passed three places of note. First, was the Mill of Kintail which is also he home of the R. Tait Mackenzie Museum. Mackenzie was a noted artist and sculptor who remodeled the mill and used it as his summer residence in the early 20th century.

Nearby is the birthplace of Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of the game of basketball. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stop at either place, but I did spend some time at the five arch stone bridge in Pakenham, ON. It was built in nine weeks in 1903 by Scottish stonemasons and still stands today. It is the only five arched stone bridge in North America.

Pakenham, ON, bridge

Harley loaded and ready for the road.

As I was riding along at fractionally more than 100 kph I was passed by a construction pickup truck on a double line. People get impatient, but I saw the incongruence between what the driver had done and the slogan that was on the tailgate of his truck. "Safety is Our First Priority."

By the time I reached Chalk River, the heavy grey clouds began to roll in. This is when I began to regret my decision not to go back and get my rain gear. Looking back I realized why packing my bike seemed to go so much smoother than usual this morning. The rain began just as I was arriving in North Bay. Finding a Canadian Tire store was difficult and the rain turned into a downpour before I arrived at the store. I was able to by a set of rain gear, and with much difficulty managed to squirm my way into the pants before getting back on the highway. By the time I arrived at Sturgeon Falls, the sun was shining and the temperature was moving into the high 20s C (low 89s F) so I squirmed out of my gear and carried on. 

This part of Ontario is relatively sparsely populated except for the occasional small town or village as well as the major cities of North Bay and Sudbury . Just miles and miles of miles and miles, but the scenery is beautiful with the eastern hardwood forest of maples predominantly so it was a pleasant ride. But, once again the fat grey clouds rolled in as I arrived in Sudbury, so once again it was touch and go.

I followed the directions on my GPS to my night's lodging which I discovered was not a conference centre, but a residence for Cambrian College students. As I neared to residence the skies once again opened up and I was faced with another torrential deluge. I was able to find the dorm shortly after the deluge, but I was wet, as was my bike and pack. Had I not spent more than half an hour trying to find the place I would have avoided the situation. I have to say that the directions to this place were almost non-existent. I was able finally to get sketchy directions to the place from a security person, but still even they were wildly inaccurate. The was no signage to speak of and it was only by chance that I was able to find the residence before I was totally soaked. This was probably the worst experience trying to find the place that I have ever had in all my travels.

The room is spartan, without even any conveniences including TV. An entirely unsatisfactory experience. I probably should have read any reviews before signing up for it. A lesson learned.

Tomorrow I will ride the 300 kilometres to Sault Ste Marie, cross the border, then ride a further 300 to Marquette, Michigan, where I will spend the night. With any luck, this will be the end of rain for a while.


















































No comments:

Post a Comment