Tuesday 4 July 2023

Across the Mountains and the Sea

It was an early morning on the last day of the rally. After getting a cup of coffee I began the task of packing away my sleeping bag, therma-rest pad, cot and small suitcase before I took down my tent, a somewhat easier task than putting it up in the first place. Chuck and Ann had already left to go back to Colorado, and the guys from Victoria were ready to head out on the North Cascades Highway to make their way home. 

I left the campground around 7:40 and made a short stop in 'downtown' Winthrop to take some photos. Winthrop has a charm of its own and has become a real tourist destination with its western theme and the fact that it is the first real place that offers services on the east side of the Cascade Mountains on Highway 20. 

The Winthrop Emporium

Three Finger Jack's Saloon at the corner of the main intersection

The main street in Winthrop, WA. 



My truck loaded and ready to roll out of Winthrop

With the heavy rain in the mountains on Saturday afternoon, the runoff changes the Chewush River from a clear flowing stream to a muddy torrent. The water resembled nothing so much a hot chocolate.

the Chewush River

The day was sunny with nary a cloud in the sky, a real contrast to the conditions on Tuesday, when I crossed the mountains from the west. Then along with rain, the clouds were hanging low and it was difficult to get a good view of the landscape. Today, the conditions were directly opposite with the mountains showing in all their splendour. There are few mountain drives that I have experienced that are any better than this one.

Into the mountains




Spectacular scenery on the North Cascades Highway.


There is still snow on the ground here at the end of June.








Scenery to good not to share.


A beautiful roadside waterfall.

On crossing the mountains I arrived in Burlington, WA, where I filled my gas tank, did a quick stop at Costco and headed up I-5 to the border. The crossing there was very easy with a few perfunctory questions and the Customs officer remarking on how great the orange Commando looked. I arrived at the ferry terminal at 1:15 and after a two hour wait I was on the 3:15 ferry, arriving at Duke Point at about 5:20. The drive home was uneventful and I pulled into my driveway shortly after 7:00 after being away for a week.

I really enjoy these Norton rallies. The people who organize these events are truly dedicated and put a tremendous amount of work into making an event that everyone really appreciates. Arranging catering, group rides and poker runs, awards and prizes takes a great deal of time and the Northwest Norton Owners organized a first rate event. The next rally will be held in Quincy, CA, at the same place where the 2016 rally was held. I am looking forward to this one, but it is a long drive and unless circumstances change, I will be doing it alone. But, as always, it will be worth it.

The Trophy in its place of honour.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment