Monday 6 July 2015

Motorhomes & Locomotives

For the past two weeks I have been struggling with the worst cold I have had in at least ten years. But on Saturday morning I was feeling well enough to head to Kamloops to meet my friend, Jim Urquhart for our annual motorcycle trip. Two years ago we rode through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, then back through Idaho & Washington. Last year we did the 'Three Passes in Three Days' ride where we rode from Hope to Keremeos on Highway 3, then rode south to Omak & west again on the North Cascades Highway to Burlington. On the third day we rode to Everett then eat on Highway 2 across Stevens Pass, before riding across Washington and into Idaho before riding the Kootenays for two days.
 
This year the plan is to ride to northern Idaho and explore the best motorcycle roads in the state for about a week.
 
I pulled out of our driveway at 4:36 a.m., just as the sun was starting to brighten the horizon and headed south to Nanaimo. Riding this early in the morning is incredible. I passed one vehicle between Campbell River and Parksville and watched the sun rise over the Coast Mountains. The ferry ride across Georgia Strait was calm & beautiful. I was able to get a half hour nap before we arrived in Horseshoe Bay.
 
The ride to Squamish was easy and after a stop for a Starbucks coffee I headed on to Whistler and Pemberton. On the way I pulled up behind the first motorhome of the day. In the 80 kilometer per hour zone this driver was rolling along at 60 kph braking into corners and slowing to 55kph. The driver finally had the sense to drive into Whistler Village leaving about twenty drivers to heave sighs of relief as they were able to again drive the speed limit.
 
Outside of Pemberton the second motorhome appeared on a long hill climbing from Birkenstock Lake. Again, although the speed limit was 60 kph, we rarely broke forty for several kilometres until the driver finally pulled off and let traffic resume. Later on the same section of highway yet another of those beasts was lumbering along holding traffic back yet again. I have added a new word that motorcyclists dread when they see it on the road. Usually it is 'Fresh Oil', or 'Loose Gravel' but the word 'Canadream', the name on the back of so many rental motorhomes has now been added to my list.
 
The weather was quite good for riding, not to hot and sunny and clear, until I began to descend into Lillooet which many times a year is named to hottest place in Canada.  It was like riding into a furnace. with the temperature rising by about ten degrees C. in about ten kilometres of descent.
 
Strangely enough, there was very little traffic after I passed the RVs. It was ideal riding and climbing out of Lillooet the highway parallels the CN railway line that runs north to prince George. In all the times I have ridden this road I have never seen a train. This day was the first time. I caught up to and passed a mixed freight heading north and further on I pulled off the highway and waited for the train to arrive so I could shoot some video.
 
I love trains so when I get an opportunity to see one up close I take advantage. I was able to get a good video of the train as it passed and then as it doubled back to climb up from Lillooet to the flatlands of the Interior.
 
 
CN freight train heading north to Quesnel or Prince George
 
The run to Kamloops was again quick and easy with a minimum of traffic. I arrived in Kamloops and stopped at Kamloops H-D. This is a great dealership and they even had ice water at the front door. Riding through Kamloops I arrived at my friends Jim & Sue Urquhart's just before 4:00 p.m., just under twelve hours after leaving home. I covered 608 kilometres, a good start to the trip.
 
Before I could say 'Hi' to Jim and Sue however, it was necessary to pay homage to 'the girls' their standard Schnauzers who demand their time as well. Maggie, the younger of the two is more assertive while Molly, the elder is subtle. Maggie will walk up to you and sit in front of you waiting for attention, sometimes gently putting her paws of your leg to get attention. Molly, on the other hand, just sidles up and announces her presence with the slightest tickle from her face hair on the side of my leg. She's the more ladylike of the two.
 
We had a great dinner then Jim and I relaxed with celebratory libations during the evening. I fell into bed at almost midnight after getting less than three hours sleep the night before.
 
After a rest day the plan is to ride to Creston on Monday then cross into the US and ride the highways of Idaho. The roads are supposed to be some of the best in the western US so we are going to be in for a delightful repast of tasty riding.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment