Tuesday 11 August 2015

Lemons and Lemonade

On Friday morning Garry and I planned on making a last stop in Sturgis, then riding to Mount Rushmore and then perhaps to Custer State park to see the buffalo that roam there. Again traffic into Sturgis was heavy but we found a good parking spot and picked up a few last items at the vendors. I was even able to find Sturgis 2015 stickers for Robert. He hadn't been able to find any so I picked some up for him.
 
Custom Indian bike build in Sturgis, SD

 
Garry bought a T-shirt for the husband of a friend before we returned to our motorcycles. We left the lot, I thought, and I pulled into traffic on Lazelle Street. When I looked in my mirror, Garry wasn't there. I assumed that he had missed the turn and I couldn't stop in the street so I Pulled over at the first opportunity and waited for him to appear. When he didn't show up for more than fifteen minutes I moved on thinking that I had missed him when I had pulled into the alley to turn around.
 
When he didn't show up I headed to Rapid City because he knew that I was going to visit two friends from Illinois on the way. Things didn't work out so I rode to the Starbucks in Rapid City and waited there to see if he would show up, not that there really was a reason for him to do so.
 
By this time it was getting late so I made the decision to ride to Mount Rushmore to salvage something from the day. On the way I stopped at the Elk Creek Campground to see my friends Ron & Larry-o, two guys that I met in 2011 and who camp there every year during bike week. They weren't there so I carried on to Rapid City where I worked on the blog before leaving for Mount Rushmore.
 
The ride to Mount Rushmore is on a relatively new four lane highway until you arrive at the turnoff to Keystone, SD. I runs through the village then climbs the mountain to the monument.
 
Traffic moved quite quickly until I arrived at the entrance to the parking area. Then bikes were line up almost to the highway. Eventually I paid my eleven dollars for parking and found a spot. I find it unusual that while entrance to the monument is free, parking casts quite a lot when you consider that people are usually there for less than an hour. The upside might be that for anyone who lives nearby the parking pass is good for a whole year.
 


Mount Rushmore National Monument
 
I have visited Mount Rushmore several times but I am always impressed by the scale of the sculptures. It seems that this is one of the most popular attractions in the United States. After taking photos I left and headed back to Rapid City then to The Buffalo Chip.
 
Me at Mount Rushmore National Monument
Looking the part of a 'biker' at Mount Rushmore
 
Garry was there. He had stopped in the parking lot to put a loose charging cable away. I didn't see him stop, and when he left he went in the opposite direction. when he couldn't find me he returned to the campsite and worked on adding apps to his new phone. He hadn't had lunch so it was fortunate that I had brough a subway sandwich back so I could share.
 
Sunset at the Buffalo Chip
 

The Friday show was Skid Row and Def Leppard. I'm not a fan of either band but we stayed for Skid Row. They put on an energetic show but I think I am just a bit old to get or enjoy their music. Since we had to head out on Saturday morning we called it a night and left the ampitheatre. We heard Def Leppard from our tents and that was good enough.
 
Skid Row at the Buffalo Chip



Play time at the Skid Row concert

 
When our plans didn't work out Garry and I each figured out how to use the day so it all worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment