Tuesday 5 May 2015

A Message From a Legend and Great Rides Too!

Since 1971 I have had a love affair with Norton Commando motorcycles. My first real motorcycle was a 1971 Commando Roadster and since then I have had a soft spot in my heart for the marque. Last November I bought a 1974 Norton Commando Interstate and brought it to my friend, Jim Knight, in Sooke, BC.  He did a lot of work to make it roadworthy and now, it is ready for the road.
 
 
1974 Commando Interstate

 
My newest addition


On Friday I drove to Sooke so that I could take the Interstate for my first real ride on it. Jim has it running so well that it starts on the first or second kick so when I kicked it to life and took it on the road.

This bike is fast and with the Dunstall pipes it has a few more horsepower than a Commando with standard pipes. The Dunstalls have a deeper sound and are louder as well.   It accelerates well, handles beautifully, and sounds kind of 'ballsy'. Even though I rode it for only 50 kilometres, already I think it will be my favourite.

When we returned to Jim's place I took photos of the two Nortons together, then Jim pulled out his 1974 Roadster and I photographed all three. Later I posted the photos and a video I took on Facebook's Norton Commando page.  I received several comments and quite a few 'likes' on both posts.
 
 
l. to r. 1973 Norton Commando 750 Roadster, 1974 Commando 850 Roadster, 1974 Commando 850 Interstate
 
 
Commando video


When I checked my computer on Saturday morning I found a message from a man named John E Favell. As the message stated, he worked on the design of the 850 engine in the early 1970s.  I was impressed and honoured that he responded to my post. Here is the message.

"John, Whenever I see a photograph of a Commando posted on FB I get a feeling that is obviously unique to me and difficult to describe. So occasionally I simply send a message to thank the person who made the post. I was a member of the original design team then continued all manner of responsibilities related to the engine and transmission including the design of the 830 (not the Combat) and the intake and exhaust systems until the demise of the Company. Each Commando is therefore a part of me. Thank you."
 
How cool is that? A message from one of the original members of the design team that created the finest Norton engine in the best version of the Commando, in my opinion.  Jim was quite impressed as well. This is a message that I'd like to print and frame because I don't think many of those guys are around any longer. In addition, I checked out his FB page and found that after Norton Villiers went out of business in about 1975 or '76, He emigrated to the US where he went to work for Harley-Davidson from 1979 until 1995. This guy spent most of his working life with my two favourite motorcycle companies.
 
We planned to do a ride to Spunky's Motorcycles near Parksville with Jim's friends Al and Shaky Bob', but All wasn't able to make the ride because he had come down with pneumonia. Jim reported that he was dressed impeccably when he went to visit him before the ride.
 
 
Fashionable Al

 
Since I didn't have a bike to ride to Parksville (the Norton isn't a long distance bike for a 'vintage gentleman' such as me) Jim gave me the choice of one of his motorcycles. I chose to take his 2004 H-D Fatboy. As it turned out, it was a good choice.
 
The 165 kilometer ride to Spunky's was broken up by several stops, the first at Tim Horton's near Barnes H-D, Starbucks in Duncan, and a rest stop at Cassidy before we reached the dealership.  The Fatboy was a real treat to ride. The handling is neutral and a rider quickly becomes very comfortable riding it.
 
 
Fat boy on a Fatboy

 
Jim on his Fatboy
 

 
Bob on his 649 cc Yamaha Star


The return trip was similar with a stop at the Dairy Queen in Parksville for lunch where I switched bikes and rode Jim's Electra Glide classic, a coffee stop at Tim's in Ladysmith, a smoke stop in Duncan, and a last coffee stop at Times near Barnes H-D before the last lap to Sooke. We rode 333 kilometres today and the weather was ideal.

I was also able to spend two very relaxed evenings with my daughter and her partner. It was great to spend a few hours chatting and catching up on things. So, all in all, this was a terrific weekend.  I drove back to Campbell River on Sunday morning to finish the weekend.  I think it is just about time to bring my Norton home.  Maybe next weekend? 
 
In ten days I will be starting my first long ride of the season so the blogging season will soon be upon us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment