Thursday 5 February 2015

Another Addition to the Family

I am a great believer in 'serendipity', a fortunate happenstance, or pleasant surprise.  So it was last November when I was checking out business cards at a local printer.  Since I was near a local independent motorcycle shop, 'Bikesmith' run by Brain Smith here in Campbell River, I dropped in. Brian had two early '70s Triumphs in his shop and when I was looking at them he asked if I was interested in buying one. I replied that I was more of a Norton guy, and asked if he knew anyone who had one for sale.
 
He told me that he knew a gentleman, Paul, who was quite ill but who had a Norton Commando for sale and gave me the name and phone number. I contacted Paul and asked if he was interested in selling. When he told me he was I arranged a time to meet him and check out the bike.
 
 Paul was a motorcycle fanatic who had several motorcycles, dirt and road, at his house. He actually had a pristine 1978 Bultaco in his living room. He had been quite an off-road motorcyclist for quite a while and, as a person of English origin, he also loved the old British motorcycles as well. Unfortunately, Paul was fighting brain cancer and was quite weak.
 
We talked about the Norton and I looked at it in his garage. He had a price in mind, but due to his condition it didn't feel right to 'grind' him on the price, so we agreed on a price that was close to what he was asking.  In addition to the Interstate tank, seat, and side panels he also had the seat, tank, and side panels for the Roadster version of the motorcycle, an added bonus. 

1974 Norton Commando Interstate


I paid him for the Commando, we did the paperwork which was a convoluted process, and was finally able to bring it to its new home in my garage where it kept company with my other 1974 Commando Roadster, and my 2009 Harley-Davidson Ultra Glide Classic.
 
I couldn't get the motorcycle to run properly, so in late November I took it to Sooke, BC where my friend, motorcycle mechanic extraordinaire, and Norton guru Jim Knight lives. Jim has a real knack for fixing old British motorcycles and a real love of all things motorized with two wheels.  He has owned BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons, many Harley Davidsons, a BMW, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki motorcycles, many of which he keeps in his extended garage/workshop. At any time it is possible to see one or two motorcycles on his work stand, or partially dismantled and cloth-covered on the floor. It was into this atmosphere that I delivered my newest Norton Commando to  undergo his mechanical ministrations.
 
In late November I rolled the Commando into the back of my Toyota Tundra, and drove the 280 kilometres to Sooke and into Jim's experienced hands.  I visited it several times and on one occasion I spent nearly half an hour trying to coax it to life by kicking it over to no avail. (Pre-1975 Nortons do not have electric start.)
 
In the meantime Jim went over the Commando with a fine-toothed comb finding all the parts that needed to be replaced. The list is extensive. After all, this is a forty year-old motorcycle with twenty thousand miles (thirty-three thousand kilometres) so some stuff is bound to have worn out and need replacement.
  
Last week my wife and I made a trip to Victoria and dropped in to visit Jim and the Norton. Once again, I was on kicking duty while Jim was ready to adjust the carbeurator.  This time we met with more success.

Initially, the Norton gave us hope by actually firing, although it didn't idle. Being the persistent type of guys we are, I just kept kicking it over and listening to it fire a couple of times before it quit. Eventually, the engine turned over for several seconds before stalling and each time it ran a little longer. After thirty to forty tries the bike actually idled before it stalled when the throttle was opened. Finally Jim was able to coax the engine into higher revs when he turned the throttle so he took it for a short ride up the driveway, as did I. This Norton runs beautifully! I can hardly wait to get the cosmetic stuff fixed and put it on the road in the spring.



My 1974 Norton Commando Interstate.  The Dunstall pipes make it sound louder than most Commandos.


I went to the insurance agency to apply for a collector plate but when I get it I'll have to insure the bike for the road a minimum of three months.  I'll wait until a few weeks before I want to insure it for more than storage before I apply to put it on the road. Insuring it for three months when I won't be riding it doesn't seem to be too smart.

And in related news, I was going through a box of old stuff that had shown up in the basement, and I came upon my original British Columbia Motorcycle plate from 1973.  It is in excellent condition and I wish I could use it on one of the Nortons.  Although, to be fair, it spent its riding life on a 1972 Suzuki GT750 triple.  This bike is sometimes referred to as a 'kettle' or 'water buffalo' because it was liquid cooled.


The original plate that I put on my 1972 Suzuki GT750 when I arrived in British Columbia. 


The other event is a sad one. I bought the Norton for a gentleman, Paul Wilkinson, who had bought it with the intention of riding it.  A month later, he was diagnosed with brain cancer and never was able to take it out on the road.  When I bought it in early November he was quite ill but still optimistic.  When I collected the bike I picked up everything but the Roadster side panels.  Not wanting to bother him about it, I left it until last week when I dropped by his house to see if anyone had located them.  I was met at the door by his partner who told me that he had passed away that morning. It was terrible timing.

I didn't really know Paul, but we had spent time talking about things and he told me that he had been in the Royal Navy for thirty years, working as a helicopter mechanic.  He was in the fleet that the Royal Navy sent to the Falkland Islands in 1982, and he had seen Argentine attacks on the flotilla there, witnessing the attack on the destroyer Galahad that resulted in its burning and sinking.

On retirement from the Navy he emigrated to Canada, where he found employment with Helifor, a company that does helicopter logging on the BC coast.  He engaged in his love of riding and was quite a good motocross rider with  number of trophies, ribbons, and medals in this office.  He ruefully made the comment, "I had such plans for that Norton,"  It reinforced my belief that life is short and has unexpected twists and turns so you should do what you love while you can.  It was tragic that Paul had worked all of his life and just before he got to the place where he could really enjoy the results of a lifetime of work, he was struck down. 

Now begins the task of getting the Norton ready to ride for the 2015 season.  I'm excited about having two Norton Commandos in my garage and that I'll face the dilemma of having to decide which motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, Norton Commando Raodster, or Norton Commando Interstate, to ride on any given day. The problems that life throws at you!

In any case, I think that there are a lot of old guys like me who would love to be able to ride a Norton one more time. And I get to do it any time I want!

Meanwhile I still have my first 1974 Commando sitting in my garage awaiting the call of the road and the weather has been astounding here for the past week.  On Sunday I bit the bullet and insured it.  Because it has a Collector plate insurance is $184/year so it wasn't too much of a hit.

On my way home I remembered that I needed a battery because the old one was with my red Norton. After finding the model number I had to find one on a Sunday afternoon.  Canadian Tire was a bust but Lordco had the battery I stock.  I was able to get one at a substantial discount because the counter person couldn't find my account and gave me the top discount.

I took the battery home, added sulphuric acid and put it on the battery charger so I wasn't ready to ride until late afternoon.  I pulled the bike out of the garage, opened the fuel cock, tickled the carbs, turned they key, then kicked it over.  Not too amazingly, she fired up first try.   After sitting in the garage for five months!  This is a great bike!

Because it was late and the sun was going down we rode to Starbucks for a coffee instead of taking a long ride.  I had forgotten how cold riding can be in the spring when there's no fairing on my bike.

 
Springtime Norton

 
Looking east toward the mainland


On Monday I started earlier and did a ride south along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The sun was out and it was about 10C; a beautiful spring day. I brought my camera so I stopped in a pullout near the water and shot some photos and video.  It was a good way to start the season and I am ecstatic to be 'Back in Black' for another motorcycle season. And here is a short video of my blue Commando:

 
 
This is going to be a good riding year!





2 comments:

  1. I believe that an attempt has been made here to downplay the reality of the situation when referencing the 1972 Suzuki. For those who are not up on their motorcycle nomenclature, allow me to clarify..... plug in "water buffalo" on Google" and enjoy the resultant chuckle............
    (sorry John, can't help it..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red Norton is running beautifully now. A few more repairs and she will be roadworthy and insured with a Collector plate. It will be amazing to have two roadworthy Nortons in my garage ready to ride whenever I feel the need. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete