Tuesday 13 June 2017

Saucy Waitresses and Great Riding. Again!

Some days just begin well and keep on getting better. This day was one of those. It began during breakfast at the Magnuson Hotel restaurant in Creston, BC. Our waitress seemed to be enjoying the banter which once again was started by Jim. When she asked me if I wanted onions with my hash browns, I hesitated. She looked at me and said that I should try them and added the comment, 'Trust the chubby waitress.' I had the onions. This carried on through breakfast. We talked about coffee snobs and she told about two motorcycle riders who asked for decaf coffee. She looked at them and asked if they rode motorcycles. They said they did. She asked them if they wore heated vests. Again they answered in the affirmative. Then she let the hammer drop with the comment, Do they make those for boys?' Making her opinion about those who ask for decaf coffee quite clear. It was priceless. When we left, she thanked us for letting her have some fun.

When we left Creston we had about an hour and ten minutes to cover the eighty-seven kilometres to the ferry terminal at Crawford Bay. Given the time constraint we chose not to refuel and headed north. I was in the lead so I pushed things a bit. Pushing a bagger through sixty kilometre per hour curves at more than eighty is something that will keep you on your toes. We had a clear road until we were about thirty kilometres south of the terminal when we caught a driver who was consistently driving slower than the speed limit. This driver caught up to a driver with his truck and camper who was driving at least twenty kilometres per hour below the speed limit. The time was melting away and after about twenty kilometres the truck driver pulled over. Shortly after that the car driver pulled over and we resumed our speed.

We lost Jim & Tom because, as we found out later, Jim pulled in to a gas station to refuel, but decided in the interest of time, to carry on without refueling. We arrived at the terminal just as it was beginning to load. Jim pulled in with just eleven kilometres of gas showing on his gauge. We made the ferry with minutes to spare, saving us a two hour wait. Our relief was palpable.

The trip across Kootenay Lake takes about thirty minutes amidst some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet. The lake is surrounded by towering mountains, some snow capped even at this time of year.


Kootenay Lake from the ferry




Leaving Crawford Bay on the Kootenay Lake ferry

While we were on the ferry we met a woman who rides a Ducati Monster. She has a place on the east side of the lake and takes the ferry on her bike each Tuesday. She, along with Tamara, the owner of the Nuru Coffee Bar in New Denver also rides a Ducati Monster. Interesting that it is the women who are riding these hot bikes. The other person was a man from Lloydminster Saskatchewan who was here visiting his daughter who was working at Kokanee Springs. He said that he was checking out the area, I suspect with thoughts of moving here. 

When we left the ferry Tom and Garry rode south to refuel. The Ducati lady told us that it was about seven kilometres. I stopped at the Old World Bakery to see if I could retrieve the sunglasses that I had left there last Tuesday. To my surprise no one could locate them, This was the second time that something I had left simply vanished.I also left a battery charger and GoPro battery in our room at the Best Western in Penticton. That too 'disappeared'. I find it difficult that items as specific as a battery charger or a pair of sunglasses vanish even though I was able to specifically let the people who should have found the items where they were. Someone made two small scores last week. It makes me doubt the basic honesty of some people.

I rode south behind Jim so he could get gas. As the kilometres rolled up on the odometer, we passed seven, eight, nine, and finally eleven kilometres when the station came in sight. I'm sure that Jim was sweating the final few kilometres to the gas station.

I dropped off the end of the group to take some photos of things of interest to me. The first was the mineral deposits on the rocks beside the Highway at Ainsworth Hot Springs. The resort there caters to people who go there to enjoy the hot springs. The water from them runs over the rocks leaving an orangey deposit. I also stopped to take photos of the lake from a point overlooking it.


Mineral deposits at Ainsworth Hot Springs


Kootenay Lake

In Kaslo I rode to the Visitor Centre to potograph the old paddlewheel steamboat, Moyie, which was built in 1898, and is preserved as a Kaslo historic feature along with a CPR caboose. The display highlights the connection between railways and steamboats in this rugged country in the days before highways.


S.S Moyie


S.S Moyie with CPR caboose

The guys were stopped at Theresa's Restaurant and Museum so I checked in to let them know that I was going to hike up to the Kaslo Hotel. The owner, a man named John (no last name that I know) has spearheaded a campaign to get Kaslo named the most motorcycle friendly community in western Canada. When I saw a mug from the promotion and mentioned to Tamara at New Denver that the video that they had used in their promotion was mine, she suggested that I meet John and see if he had an extra mug.

Today I went to the hotel and asked to see John. Leslie, that lady at the desk asked my why and I told her the story. She told me to wait a minute, then came back with tow Kaslo mugs. It was a real score!


Kaslo Hotel


I would love to sample their product, especially their IPA.


Leslie with the two mugs at the Kalso Hotel desk


When I returned to Theresa's I noticed that her place was named on the mug so I asked her if I could take her photo with a mug. She agreed so I took her photo. I later emailed them to her.


Theresa's Restaurant & Museum


Theresa with her mug

One again we rode the Kaslo-New Denver highway, and again it was a great ride. We stopped at the summit to enjoy the scenery and thoughts of the ride. We met a guy named Brian who was riding a Ducati. there was also a couple with an old dog at a picnic table. I gave the dog a scratch and asked about the dog's age because it seemed to be very old. She told me that she was eighteen and a half years old. Then she added, 'That's the longest relationship I've ever had.' When I suggested that it was probably the best one too, she laughingly agreed.


The rest stop near New Denver





We continued on to New Denver and Tamara's Nuru Coffee Bar. (I got the name right this time.) Brian was there when we arrived. We ordered lunch and noticed that there was a plate of Brian's Birthday Cake. Tom was impressed and bought a piece for Brian. Tamara had no candles so Tom stuck a stir stick in it and gave it to Brian who got a laugh out of it.

I ordered a sandwich which had a dill pickle with it. When I left the table and returned I noted that I had forgotten the pickle. Tom said that jim had been eyeing it, and Tamara said, 'He wants the Polish pickle.' It was my suggestion that we not take that comment any further. But, today Tamara was just as saucy, or sassy, as she had been last week. It was a delightful way to spend our lunch break. I would recommend this place to any motorcyclist who is in New Denver. The food is great and so is the conversation. The banter and laughter was quite enjoyable. Next time I'm in the area, I'll be stopping here again. So will the other guys.


Someone didn't park very well.

Our plan was to stay overnight in Revelstoke so we headed toward the Arrow Lake ferry. Again, the raod was terrific for motorcycle riding. Gary pulled over at a rest stop named Ione. Hidden off the road was a spectacular waterfall which was well worth the stop. It is surprising that this waterfall is not very well known in BC.



Me, at Ione Falls



Photos of Ione Falls



Ione Falls slightly out of focus

While we waited for the ferry I spoke to a man who was driving a 1951 Chevrolet with a 1952 grill. It has a 6.2 litre LS engine and special transmission. Apparently it generates an ungodly amount of horsepower. The guy loves his car and drives it all over BC and Alberta. It is a very good looking machine and I can understand why he likes it so much, even though I'm not a car guy.



For the second time today we took a FREE ferry. It is a real treat for a Vancouver Islander to take a ferry without paying forty dollars or more. I think that what is good enough for people in the Interior is good enough for me and I would certainly love to see a free ferry, or even one that had a reasonable price.
Small inukshuks on the shore of Upper Arrow Lake


Upper Arrow Lake


Upper Arrow Lake









Upper Arrow Lake, just like Kootenay Lake, is located in a stunning setting. The ferry trip takes about twenty minutes anddrops the rider off on a road that runs for almost fifty kilometres into Revelstoke. There were a pair of ravens on the ferry and when I asked a crew member if they were the ship's birds he told me that the ravens ride halfway across the lake then take off and fly back while ravens from the other side join the boat. They find it worthwhile because often people feed them.  Apparently ravens are territorial and they seem to know how far they can go across the lake. This is fascinating. I think these birds are more intelligent than people know.


One of the ship's ravens


Emblem on the ferry. I don't know what is represents.

We were able to get rooms in Revelstoke so we checked in and headed for dinner. Our two waitress were from different parts of the world. Rebecca was from Australia and Heike was from Germany. She came and stayed for the skiing. I don't know about Rebecca.

Our hotel is very close to the CPR mainline and we often here the rumble of CPR locomotives as the pick up speed and begin their run to the west coast. We haven't een any going the other way, although they no doubt do. Going west are trains loaded with coal, grain and empty containers while eastbound trains return with empty coal and grain cars as well as full containers from China. This town lives on the CPR, and has since it was established during the construction of the CPR. It is the same with Kamloops as well. This is a great part of the country and it great to be able to enjoy it on a motorcycle with good weather and friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment