Friday 3 June 2016

A Dick At the Border But Good People Too

The riding season is well and truly with us and to recognize this fact, Garry and I will be doing a two week ride that should take us to southern Utah. When we plan a motorcycle trip, it is of necessity, fluid. Destinations can change, and distances can be extended or shortened depending on road conditions, weather, or a variety of factors. Planning an itinerary can be an exercise in futility and it runs counter to the point of doing a motorcycle journey. As the old saying goes, 'It's the journey, not the destination.' Keep that in mind for later in this blog entry.

In honour of this trip, yesterday morning in a frenzy of activity, I washed and waxed Big Red so she would be looking good when we rolled out of town. Foremost in my mind was the thought that the weather earlier in the week was cloudy and cool with just enough rain to make a guy who was planning on a long bikes ride, paranoid. This morning the skies were grey and threatening but, we had places to go so after I met Garry at his place at 7:30, we headed for the highway and were soon making an effortless 120 kph.

Big Red

All cleaned up & ready to roll.

The 150 kilometres to Nanaimo took less than an hour and a half, so we were able to refuel and head to the Duke Point terminal almost an hour ahead of the 10:15 sailing. We met several people while we waited including one guy who had picked up a barn find 1980 shovelhead Harley and was taking it back to Kamloops, Another guy was riding his 2014 Ultra Limited to Edmonton to meet and go riding with his son who had bought a new motorcycle. Another couple was crossing to take part in the Ride for Children this weekend.

Waiting to load

Grey skies

When we rode our motorcycles onto the ferry in the past we were usually put on the upper deck. First on, first off, and first in the restaurant line. For some unknown reason someone seems to have gotten the bright idea that motorcycles should be put into the bowels of the ferry, and that's the way it seems to be on most ferry runs. Now we get to climb five flights of stairs, take our place at the end of the food line, and usually follow trucks off the ferry. I like things the old way.

In the bowels of the Coastal Renaissance

Mount Baker in the clouds

The ride to the border was rather easy and the line up wasn't particularly long. When the line split I moved into one lane while Garry took another. An interjection here. It seems that whenever I pick a line it is the one that moves the slowest. The border is the worst for me. When we entered the lines there were about twelve or thirteen cars in front of each of us. By the time I was halfway to the customs station for my line, Garry was already through and waiting for me to cross.

I was puzzled by a badge on the Subaru in front of me. Pzev - Partial zero emissions vehicle. I am still puzzled by the concept of 'partial zero'.

When I arrived at the booth I removed my sunglasses and handed the agent my passport. From the start, the agent was hostile. "Where are you going?"

 "Mount Vernon." I answered.

"Where are you going then?"  "We're riding to southern Utah to see Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Arches National Monuments."

"Who is 'we?' "Four other guys."

"How do you know these guys?"  "I've known them for forty years."

"I didn't ask how long you knew them." "We've ridden together for forty years."

"How much cash do you have with you?" "Eight hundred dollars and a credit card."

"Do you have hotel reservations?" "No. We just ride until we feel like stopping for the day."

"That's vague. You don't know where you're going?" "No. We're riding to Utah but we figure it out as we go."

"When will you be returning to Canada?" "On June 17th or 18th."

At this point another CBP officer came out the office with a German shepherd. I didn't really pay attention, but Garry told me that the officer had the dog search my bike. Obviously, he found nothing and moved on.

I then received a lecture about not having an itinerary, having vague answers about where I would be each night and the officer informed me that I could be denied entry if I didn't have specific answers to questions about where I would be on a daily basis. This was a surprise to me because every time I have done rides in the US, I have just had to explain in general terms where I was going and that has been satisfactory. This guy for some reason decided that he was going to be a dick and I was his victim. Eventually I was allowed to cross and met Garry who had been waiting for close to twenty minutes.

Garry, on the other hand, had a much easier time than I when he crossed. The CBP officer asked him where he was going, How long he would be in the US, and when was the last time he was in the US. When he said his last trip was to Sturgis, she said, "Oh, it's another ride like then. Away you go." Quite a different experience from mine.

The ride to Mount Vernon was interrupted only by a quick stop for a hot dog at Costco and a quick visit to North Cascades H-D. The last time I was there with my friend Jim, from Kamloops, we were in the dealership we went unacknowledged for fifteen minutes. This time we were met immediately upon entering. New ownership and new attitude.

I asked one of the women who was working in the dealership where (God forbid!) I could find the nearest Honda dealer. I was told that there was one south of Mount Vernon, but the really good one was in Smoky Point about thirty miles south. One of the women had worked there before. Her comment; "That dealership has everything. The owner is an inventory whore." I loved that comment. It encapsulated everything I know about the difference between the kind of guy who runs a motorcycle dealership, and the kind of guy who is motorcycle guy first but who also runs a dealership. I hope we can stop there tomorrow morning before the serious riding begins.

We arrived at the Quality Inn just after Jim arrived on his CTX Honda. Kerry and Tom had arrived earlier so the three of us checked in & waited for our rooms to be ready. I was really surprised that Jim didn't relent and ride the Electra Glide but I guess it was the Honda or new tires for the Harley. So this evening we have metric parking and Harley parking.

Jim & his Honda in the metric parking space

Harley parking

For dinner we decided to go to Panda Express. All I can say is that I've crossed that off my bucket list so I never have go there again. When we were finished we stayed and told stories for about half an hour. Lots of laughs. There are great guys and it is lot of fun being with them. I'm looking forward to having a really great time over the next two weeks.

There are two benches in front of the office so we met there. A couple from the area, Susan & Hal Brookins  joined us there and we had a great conversation again with a great deal of laughter. The best line of the night; when Hal said, "Behind every successful man is a very surprised mother-in-law." Already we are meeting great people here and they more than make up for the Customs and Border Patrol officer who decided he was going to be an a$$hole to a guy who was trying to cross the border on his motorcycle.
Kerry and Tom on 'The Bench'

Tomorrow we will be riding to Everett and taking Highway 2 over Stevens Pass. Where we end up tomorrow is anyone's guess but the weather is improving, the roads should be good and our riding companions are great guys. What more could a guy ask for?

1 comment:

  1. It's June 13th and this seems a long time ago. I don't quite understand your "god forbid" comment. Teresa said she posted a comment but it didn't show up. Thank you for taking on the leadership role and recording the journey.

    ReplyDelete