Tuesday 2 August 2011

Ohio

The heat and humidity continue to exact their toll on me.   Ordinarily I like the heat and can stand some humidity but today it was at least 30 C. with almost 100% humidity.  The humidity creates a haze that looks almost like a fog in the distance.  I stayed in Dunkirk in western New York last night and shortly after starting out I crossed into Pennsylvania.  The state must have received some lake frontage on Lake Erie when it was created as part of some long-forgotten deal, because it seemed to be about 100 km before I was into Ohio.

Welcome to Ohio!
As I approached Cleveland I decided to do a side trip to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum.  It was surprisingly easy to drive right to the Hall because it is right next to the Cleveland Browns football team stadium on the lakefront.  This was unlike Niagara Falls which was so poorly signed it was difficult to find even with GPS.  Parking is $8.00 for however long one parks so for some it is a good deal.  Not so much for me though.


Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum, Cleveland OH

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum, Cleveland OH.



Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH

I walked around the grounds then went in to the lobby and took some photos of oversized Fender guitars, one honouring George Harrison and the other decorated by Robby Krieger of the Doors.  The admission was $22 but I didn't have the time to do the tour.  I did see a Porsche donated by Van Morrison and Billy Joel's CR1000 Sportster as well.  The building as a modernistic steel and glass structure.  At present there is a display honouring the Women of Rock including Gwen Stefani.

Oversize replica of a Fender guitar honouring George Harrison
Van Morrison's Porsche
Johnny Cash's tour bus from 1979, at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH

Upon leaving the Hall I headed out to I-90 through the industrial waterfront of Cleveland.  There was some of the same decay that I noticed yesterday in Buffalo, but it didn't seem as bad.  I was routed through some regular streets and was surprised at how rough some ao the streets are.  I really noticed that in Buffalo when I was forced to dodge four inch deep potholes on a main street.

By the time I left Cleveland the temperature was close to 90 F with close to 100% humidity.  People I spoke to were expecting rain so when I got to Cleveland I found a Motel 6 to hole up in for the night. While I was on the road I met a guy who was trailering his bike to Sturgis, and another who was going to rent a bike for the week in Salt Lake City and then ride it to Sturgis.  He said he could save $1000 that way.  One guy even came up to me while I was sitting in a service centre on the Ohio Turnpike and asked if I was going to Sturgis.

I had hoped to camp for a few nights but at this point with the weather conditions as they are it doesn't look like I'll be doing that.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to make it past Chicago to eastern Iowa.  It all depends how early I start and how long I can ride before I feel like stopping for the day.  And if the rain holds off.  It is extremely dangerous riding a motorcycle at freeway speeds in the rain so I won't be doing that. 

Anyway, it's time to get some rest for the day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment