Monday 8 July 2024

That's One Off the Bucket List

Some people have a really formal bucket list and they are very serious about checking off things on it to the point of actually putting a list together and literally checking off those items that they have done. I'm not that organized but there are a few things that I have wanted to accomplish before I shuffle off this mortal coil. One was to do a solo ride to my home town, Perth, Ontario, and I did that last year. Maybe it is denying the reality of my age but it seems to me that pulling off these dreams is at least holding off father time for a while.

One of the items on my list was to ride the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana. The idea originally came to me during a ride with three friends in early June, 2017, but when we were in the area the road had not yet been cleared of the winter snow. Logan Pass tops out at 6647 feet (2025 metres) so it is probably not snow free at all, but the US Parks Service clears the road by mid June and it stays open until the fall snows close it again. So, we missed our chance to ride it then, but that challenge has been on my mind since then. 

My friend, Garry and I planned a road trip for this summer and this was one of the central purposes of this trip. And today was the day!

Today was going to be a long day because of the distance we would have to ride to get to the Going to the Sun Road. We would have to ride 112 miles (180 kilometres) to make it to Kalispell, then a further 56 miles (95 kilometres) to the east entrance to Glacier Park, a further 20 miles (32 kilometres)) to Saint Mary where be began the 50 miles of the Going to the Sun Road. And then we had to return.

On the way, we stopped at Starbucks in the town of Polson, a small town on the shores of Flathead Lake. Refuelling at Kalispell, we pushed on to the park entrance. On the way we passed a large number of roadkilled animals, including a raccoon, several skunks, gophers, a deer, and in a first for me, a horse.

It was a hot day today with temperatures in the low  30sC. And riding with black leathers compounds the heat so we knew our ride would have a price. On top of that both of us forgot to bring the Powerade that we had bought to keep hydrated. And in the park there was no place to buy some. 

Twelve years ago, my friend Jim, who lives in Kamloops did a ride through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. When we entered Grand Tetons National Park the ranger asked my age. When I told him that I was 63, he took my twenty dollar bill and told me to wait. He returned a minute later with a ten dollar bill and a National Parks pass. Jim got one as well. I used it to get into the park, but Garry had to pay thirty dollars. This has been a gift that just keeps on giving and I have used it many times over the ensuing years. 

The road is a curvy twisting piece of pavement, but traffic was so heavy and the speed limit is usually 25 or 35 mph. This park is set in an incredibly part of the planet. Craggy peaks tower above crystal clear lakes, snow-flecked mountains, numerous waterfalls that are fed by melting snow, cascade onto the road as well a down mountainsides. The majority of the photos on this blog are illustrative of this.








Photo op of Garry with a stunning background


Lower Saint Mary Lake

Lower Saint Mary Lake


Recovering from a forst fire




Saint Mary Falls













I find it amazing that some people are so entitled that they fell that the rules are for others, not them. This was evident when a particular feature came into view, rather than parking, they would stop in the road to take photos while everyone else behind them had t stop and wait while they had their moment. 

In one area there were a total of mountain goats that seemed to be quite acclimated to human presence. It was the first time I had ever seen mountain goats and I was surprised at how white they are. They are beautiful animals.

On the way out of the park traffic moved steadily at about 35 mph. Until about 4 kilometres (2-1/2 miles) from the west entrance where the park road joined US Highway 2. Traffic moved forward two or three cars at a time. It probably took close to forty minutes to cover that distance. Again, sitting in the hot sun in 35C temperatures in black leathers, sitting on top of large hot motorcycle engine. As we got onto Highway 2, traffic resumed normal highway speed. 

Sometimes when I travel, I come across unusual names. One such is the small village of Hungry Horse. I'm sure that there is a story that is worthwhile hearing. 

The sun was hanging low in the sky when we left Kalispell. We made a quick stop in Polson to pick up some Powerade and Garry bought a dinner sandwich. The ride was relatively uneventful until we came to the town of Arlee, about 15 miles north of Missoula. We rounded a bend and came upon several policed cars flashing the red & blues with an ambulance as well. Several people were standing around as well. The centre of this whole show was two heavily heavily twisted and bent cars. Two people at least, had to be involved but there was only one ambulance. It is likely that there was at least one fatality. It was a tragic sight and a real indication that life is uncertain.

This is the time of day that deer come out to graze by the highway. I kept a close eye out for deer, but fortunately none appeared. We arrived back at the hotel at about 9:30, more than twelve hours and 722 kilometres after we had departed in the morning. It was a grueling day for an old guy (I won't speak for Garry) but we did it and it was worth it. That's one item checked off the bucket list. Now, to ride the Lolo Pass to Lewiston, Idaho, tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment