Friday 28 June 2024

The Final Push and 10 500 kilometres

 As is my wont, I have been extremely lax about writing the last blog post of this trip. After the previous day's long ride from Brooks, AB through Banff and parts of Jasper Parks and stopping overnight in Sicamous, BC, it was a shorter Sunday ride because I had arranged to visit my friends Jim & Sue in Kamloops. I had what I called a 'soft start' to the day and was underway before 10:00 a.m., arriving in Kamloops before noon. I was great to visit with my friends again. We have known each other for almost 50 years and have arranged to keep in contact over that time. Jim rides a Harley-Davidson and we have dome a few road trips over that time. 

After eight days on the road it was a real pleasure to have a rest day with good friends in air conditioned comfort. We had a good visit and I stayed for the next day before heading home. I always enjoy my time with my friends and it is good to catch up. I especially enjoy visiting with their dog, Maggie, a standard Schnauzer that I have known since she was three or four months old in 2010. Even though at most once a year she remembers me I see her. 

Maggie, Jim & Sue's awesome standard Schnauzer.

This summer has been a bad one for forest fires. We have had several summers like this over the past several years. The Interior of BC has endured periods of heavy smoke and this time was on of those. The photo below gives an idea of what the sky is like during those times. We are fortunate in Campbell River to miss out on these events for the most part. Riding under these conditions leaves one with a raw throat and sore eyes. One of the few drawbacks of riding a motorcycle, I suppose.



Sunset under a smoky sky near Kamloops, BC.

After a short, but very good visit, I began the last leg of my journey from Kamloops to Campbell River. The ride is about 600 kilometres in addition to a two hour ferry ride, so it is a long day, especially when the temperature is in the high 20s. The ride from Kamloops to Cache Creek as about 100 kilometres on the Trans Canada Highway (Highway 1) and it runs along Kamloops Lake. The CPR (CPKC) runs along the near side of the lake while the CNR runs along the far side. This is the main east west route for both railways so if one has patience it is possible to see trains passing fairly frequently. In the past I have seen the Rocky Mountaineer on the CN tracks as well.


Kamloops Lake looking east.


 
Kamloops Lake looking northeast

I usually stop in Cache Creek to refuel before heading to Lillooet and the Duffy Lake Road to Pemberton, Whistler and Squamish. The road and scenery between Lillooet and Pemberton is spectacular with rushing mountain rivers and snow capped mountains. I didn't stop for photos. The only drawback is tourists driving CanaDream and Cruise Canada rental motor homes. These people often drive at 20 kph below the 60 kph posted speed limit. Being stuck behind these rigs are frustrating because even when there are pullouts these driver seldom use them condemning those following them to crawl along for kilometres on end because there are very few passing lanes. That is the only problem with this road.

Sculpture at the entrance to Lytton.

Anderson Lake. CNR line along the lake edge.

Anderson Lake looking west

The ride from Whistler to Horseshoe Bay was relatively uneventful. Traffic on a Tuesday afternoon moves along at a good pace through the Coast Range, through Whistler and Squamish, along Howe Sound and past Brittania Beach and the huge mill on the side of a mountain. When I arrived at the BC Ferries terminal, there was a long wait. Sitting on hot pavement wearing black leathers is not the most edifying experience, but even though motorcycles have priority boarding on ferries, they so not have priority in ticketing so riders sit and wait like everyone with the exception that people can run their air conditioning.

Line up for ticketing at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal.

Approaching Nanaimo Harbour

Departure Bay ferry terminal

Under a cloudless sky Georgia Strait was glassy calm so the crossing was uneventful. the last 150 kilometres to Campbell River passed quickly and I arrived home around 8:00 p.m.

The whole trio took 28 days and covered 10 500 kilometres across four provinces and four states. I rode through am amazing variety of scenery from the coast and the Pacific Ocean through the Rocky mountains in BC and western Alberta, across the prairie grassland and farms by prairie lakes, coal mines, oil and gas wells railway lines. I rode along Lake Superior and Lake Huron and along the Ottawa River. We live in an incredibly beautiful country and I have the same feeling about the northern tier states of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin & Michigan as well. 

For me, pulling this solitary ride off days after my 74th birthday was a real accomplishment. I probably won't do a journey of this magnitude again because age has a nasty way of sneaking up on you. So, I'll keep travelling like this as long as I can and enjoying every minute and kilometre of the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment